Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 8: Your favorite t.v. show, book, and movie


While sitting down to write this post, I have come to the conclusion there's a good possibility that by the end of this post, people might think I'm a little dark. I've also realized...that's ok! :)

My favorite t.v. show


Now, I'm completely positive that almost everyone will already know what my favorite t.v. show is before I even say it, as chances are, it's your favorite t.v. show also. Drum roll please.....

Add caption
Yep, you guessed it. I'm just like a huge percentage of other people who claim Dexter as their favorite t.v. show. The show, that debuted in 2006, is based on a character named Dexter Morgan, played by Michael C. Hall. Dexter is likeable Miami police forensics expert who moonlights as a serial killer. For those of you who watch Dexter, as you read this, chances are you are getting more and more anxious for season 7 to begin. To that I say, "I hear you! The end of September can't get here fast enough!" To those of you who are unfamiliar with Dexter, you are probably thinking that a show about a serial killer sounds less than enticing, or even creepy. And to that, I would say, "FALSE!" Although he is a serial killer, he's actually one of the good guys. The kicker is that while he kills people, he only kills criminals that have managed to escape justice for their own crimes: a vigilante if you will. Who doesn't love to watch murderers that have gotten away with their crimes get a little dose of their own medicine?! The answer is no one. Everyone loves justice, however it may be dished out! 

 A lot of people I know suggested this show to me, as they were aware of my fascination with serial killers. (Now, before you go thinking I am some weirdo who glorifies murder or idolizes these nut jobs, just know that's not the case. I enjoy reading the true stories of actual serial killers. Their childhood, their M.O., their arrest and trial, etc...) However, it wasn't until August of 2007 until I jumped on the train. It wasn't exactly what i was expecting, but I love it none the less!

Here's a fun fact: Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter play Dexter and Deborah Morgan on the show, brother and sister. However, in real life, they were married until 2011.

 My favorite book

In keeping up with my interest in serial killers, it's no surprise to anyone that my favorite book is a book about Ted Bundy. I think what initially intrigued me was that he spent some time in Utah.  Creepy.


My other favorite book, which comes in at a close second place, is a book called Drinking with Strangers by Butch Walker.  Butch Walker is a songwriter, producer, and recording artist that I can't get enough of. When he came out with his book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Most of the time when a musician writes a book, it's full of, "Look who I slept with..." and "This one time I was blitzed out of my mind on drugs..." and they skip the part about the road that got them to where they are. That's what I love about this book. It's a genuine story about how he fought to get to where he is now. Nothing was handed to him, and he's thankful for all that he has built for himself.


Right now, a lot of  you are probably thinking, "Who the hell is Butch Walker?!" But chances are, you've heard some of his songs, or even heard a few songs that he's produced. Worth a listen for sure. 


My favorite movie

If you've read the paragraphs before this, I know you're expecting some movie about serial killers....WRONG! This is somewhat of a "wildcard," but  it's my fave! Dirty Dancing. Don't pretend you didn't just say, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner!" in your head, cause you did ;) Not only do I love the movie itself, but the soundtrack?! Best soundtrack ever! It may be 25 years old, but it's still pure gold if you ask me :)



 And let's be real here: can you honestly say you never wished you were the gal in a pretty, flowing dress that gets thrown into the air, ever so gracefully, by a hunky Patrick Swayze? I can't! :)


2 comments:

  1. oh how I adore all that is Dexter Morgan! (Obviously you know this since I watch it at your casa each week) ... I have never read the Bundy book but I am now oh so intrigued about it! :) I will bring my visual encyclopedia of serial killers with me this weekend for your perusing. ;) I also enjoy learning about their childhoods. What made them the way they are? What caused them to snap or was it innate? So interesting.

    Dirty Dancing is a classic! Such a good movie! RIP Swayze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I can't wait until September when we have our watch parties again! I'm so curious as to which direction they are going to head this season...

      Encyclopedia of serial killers?! You have my full attention, Mrs. Pack! ;) The Ted Bundy book is SO good! There was a show about him that Ryan and I watched the other night, and I discovered that a book I have been curious about was written by a woman who used to work with him at a suicide hotline! I think that might be on my "to read" list!

      Delete