Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 3: A Life Changing Experience


It was 3:00 in the morning on June 17th, 2007 when I woke up with pains in my stomach. This didn't phase me much, as I stayed up until 2:00 watching re-runs of "The Wonder Years." I had trouble sleeping these days, my little girl was packed in my belly nice and tight- with little to no wiggle room at all! Who can blame me?! For a couple weeks, this had become my nightly routine. This show was always one of my favorites. 



So after tossing and turning for a little while, I decided it was time for a hot bath: the cure all for any ailment ;) To my surprise, taking a bath did nothing. Finally, I ended up waking my mom up around 6:30. By 7:00, my mom, my dad, and myself were on the way to the hospital. I was nervous, but above all, I was EXCITED!

I arrived at the hospital, where they quickly changed me into my standard-issue hospital gown, and the tests began. And almost as quickly as I had arrived...they sent me home. They said, "I wasn't ready."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M NOT READY?! Um, excuse me, the contractions I am having beg to differ!?!" I was assured that this was normal with first time pregnancies, and I should go home and get some rest, as I wasn't due for another 3 days. Alright, Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, I'll play your game. But I'm NOT happy about it!

After arriving home, I couldn't even make it into my bed. I just fell onto the couch, where I remained for a better part of the day. I slept for a few minutes in between the pains, but couldn't get any real rest. For lunch, my mom made me a grilled cheese sandwich- it still didn't help me feel better. "Well if a hot bath and mom's grilled cheese sandwich didn't do the trick, I MUST be terminal!" Because nothing- and I mean nothing- in all my 22 years of existence couldn't be cured by either a nice, hot bath or some of Mom's cooking.

It's about 3:00 in the afternoon now, and I am one pissed off Momma. I was going to stomp all the way back down to that hospital and they would have no choice BUT to admit me! So again, we load everyone in the car, and off we went. During the drive there, I was rehearsing what I was going to say, how I was going to convince them I WAS ready. Due date or not, here she comes! Luckily, no one had to get nasty and they admitted me right away :)


In the hospital room with me were my mom and dad, my sister, and my best friend, Brandy. It had been a long day for all of us, so my parents decided to take a quick trip home. Since being given the epidural, which worked like a charm, I was feeling much better. Much less homicidal, and I dare to say I might have been even pleasant to be around. My sister, Brandy and I just chit-chatted for a few hours, and it was a pretty good time. However, throughout the duration of our conversations, I would hear a noise that I couldn't quite define. I noticed that after the noise, Brandy and my sister would glance at each other and snicker. After a few times, I realized someone was passing gas. THE NERVE?! Finally, after much contemplation, I realized it was me! They got a good laugh at my expense that day, and to this day Brandy gets quite the kick out of it! 
Looking good, Darling! :)






So After a very long, very exhausting 23 hours of labor, Jaylinne Louise Hawkins was born at 2:22 A.M. on June 18, 2007. When I look at these pictures, I can recall exactly how I felt at that moment. I was beyond happy, and have only been getting happier every day since!
I'm pretty confident that this is the first picture ever taken of Jaylinne. It was when the nurse was cleaning her up.
This is the nurse holding her. At this point I'm getting pissed. Bring me my baby, lady!?!
It's about time! My first time holding her <3
We were all just laughing at how long her toes were, and how big her feet looked :)
Snuggling with Grandpa the morning after she was born
Grandma's turn! This is Dylan meeting his brand new cousin for the first time
June 20, 2007. The day I got to bring her home from the hospital. She looked so tiny in her carseat!

3 comments:

  1. Best story ever... :) I only wish I could have been there. Damn the universe not letting me meet you in time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you were just chilling and watching Wonder Years! Such a fun story! :) I can't imagine seeing Jaylinne so tiny! She was such a cute little baby! Now a pretty little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thank goodness I am OBSESSED with taking pictures then, huh Ryan?! Meggi, it's so weird to think you guys didn't know her when she was a baby! I wish you guys would have come along a few years earlier ;)

    ReplyDelete