Friday, September 13, 2013

Jaylinne's 1st Grade Picture Day



Well, today is Jaylinne's picture day at school. Of all days, it had to be on Friday the 13th! ;) This day is usually a stressful day on moms everywhere, but especially bad for me because I always want everything to be perfect.

If it were me photographing the little ones at school, I would do the parents a solid and help them out! A kid has a booger peeking out to say hello? Let's grab a tissue there, champ! A stray patch of hair that looks as though it is being beamed up to the mother ship? Let's get out that comb! Now don't get me wrong, a missing tooth or two, or a crooked smile are both very endearing qualities to embrace in a picture. Those are things you can look back on, and cherish about your child's days growing up. However, the remains of what looks to be a delicious lunch just hanging out on their chin is a far less endearing memory for one to have. Last year we didn't have a problem with these things, so I have my hopes up that they won't become an issue this year!

The thing I worry about the most is her hair. Her beautiful, long, thick, golden hair. It's hard to come up with new, cute, easy ways to do her hair that don't end with both of us in tears! Last year, I decided to spruce up her natural curls and add some ringlets for her pictures. When I dropped her off at school, her hair was just as bouncy as her sweet little personality! However, when I got the pictures back, her hair was almost stick-straight! Someone please explain to me how, exactly, even her natural curls were straightened by the end of the day!?! It baffled me. I knew she played hard, I guess I just didn't realize how hard! My hope for this year (and all years to come as a matter of fact) is that by the time it's her turn to get her gorgeous mug snapped, she doesn't look like Mom skidded into the parking lot at 50 miles an hour and threw her out of the car just in time for pictures. This year, I am hoping I beat the system, and I decided to go with a sock bun. Fingers crossed!

I know that no matter what pictures we end up with, we will love them because they are of Jaylinne <3 I snapped a few of her today before we left for school.

This is the outfit I decided on. A girl's gotta have accessories! I didn't know if I wanted her to wear the gray sparkly shoes on the left, or the gray crocheted boots on the right. I let her pick today after we got everything else on her, and she decided she liked the boots better. Boots it is! That's my girl :)

A close up of her hair. I tried using the hair accessory that is supposed to "help" with the sock bun, and failed miserably. It was much harder for me to use than just a sock. I used one of my socks and cut the toe out. Turns out I am a DIY girl to the core ;)

Her scarf was a little bit tricky. It was a full-size scarf, but it looked way to bulky around her little neck. So I cut it in half, and tied a decorative knot. The flowers are just hair flowers I pinned on for a splash of color. (That beauty mark?! Kick rocks, Cindy Crawford!)

I got her sweater last season at Gap, and I am still in LOVE with it. She still wears it frequently! It's very versatile.

Her skirt is also something I got last season at Gap. The leggings are from Old Navy. I love the contrast between the dark denim and the bright peach!

It's funny that we bought her lots of new clothes for school this year, but I ended up putting stuff we got her last year on for pictures! Her Uggs are also from last winter. Just had to get a few new accessories and we were good to go!





No comments:

Post a Comment