Monday, December 3, 2012

Thank Goodness for Uncle Joel!


When I was a little girl, my parents sure had me fooled! To squash my curiosity about "grown-up drinks" (coffee, beer, soda, etc..) they would tell me that if I drank it, I would get hair on my chest. Naturally, I didn't believe them. However, being the clever little buggers they were, they were 2 steps ahead of me at all times, and executed their next move flawlessly! Whenever I would question getting a hairy chest.....my dad would simply pull up his shirt.

GASP! Look at all that hair!?! I saw my Dad drink those drinks all the time, and low and behold, they DID cause hair growth! And my Mom, bless her heart, deserves a damn Academy Award! She, on occasion, would squeal that it was even putting hair on his belly! NOOOO! That was all she wrote. It worked, and I was defeated.

I never knew how clever that little trick would be until I had my own curious little one. Ryan and I found ourselves using that very same tactic to thwart Jaylinne's curiosity. One night about a year ago, maybe even longer, our friends Joel and Meggi came over to hang out. Joel heard Ryan tell Jaylinne about the growing of hair in unsightly places, in the event that she consumes a beverage that wasn't "kid friendly." Well, Joel took it and ran with it! She questioned him and he, without missing a beat, responded that it would put hair on her bottom! I never saw what true fear looked like until that day. She was a believer!

Well, tonight being Ryan's first night gone for his trip to London, we went down to my parents' house for dinner. Jaylinne had a little cup of Pepsi with her dinner, and we carried on about our business. After we finished dinner, we headed home. Jaylinne ran into her bedroom, changed into her pajamas and headed in to use the bathroom. After a few minutes, after not being able to hear so much as a peep out of her, I asked if everything was ok.

"Yes, mom!" she replied. So I waited for another couple minutes, and finally I hear: "Mom, I have something I need you to look at." I walked into the bathroom, and saw her sitting on the toilet, stone faced. I asked her what was wrong, and at this point she was almost in tears. She was able to choke out the words, "Was it the Pepsi?" And just then I realized what she was talking about! She had some dryer lint that apparently got stuck to her skin from her panties....and she just KNEW it was the Pepsi's fault and she was growing hair on her bottom! I couldn't help but laugh! We both had tears streaming down our cheeks, but they were caused by very, very different reasons! Bless her heart, she was scared to death! And she was none too pleased that I got such a kick out of it ;) At least now we know that everything Uncle Joel tells her is as good as gospel!

1 comment: