Sunday, December 16, 2012

Introducing...Chippie!


This weekend, Ryan, Jaylinne, and I stayed at The Cliffs Lodge up at Brighton Ski Resort with some of our friends. Two of our friends couldn't come up with us, and I found myself wishing they were there with us. However, upon our arrival home, I realized they had been hard at work while we were away! Jaylinne came home to this waiting for her:


For a couple years now, I have been hearing about a Christmas tradition called, "Elf on a shelf." I had no idea what the concept was, I just kept seeing pictures of a stuffed elf hidden in crazy places around the house. Well, in a nutshell, Santa sends his "helpers" to watch over the little boys and girls when they are at home, and then report back to The Boss each night while the children are in bed. Then every morning, they are in a new place within the house, to do it all over again. Each child names their elf, and it's a fun incentive to help them to remember to be good! Just one rule: don't touch the elf, otherwise they lose their power.




Jaylinne wasn't familiar with the concept either, so the first thing we did was read the note, then the book. When it came time to name the elf, I was excited. My mom's cat, who's named Runt, Jaylinne lovingly refers to as: Serafina Angelina Renae Fluffy-pie. She didn't get that extravagant this time though, and she decided on the name Chippie. Well, once she found where Chippie was hiding, it wasn't even a half hour before she came and told us she broke the cardinal rule! She touched him! Naturally, this sent her into a frenzy. The tears were flowing because she made her elf lose its power, and worst of all: she had been bad. If she knows one thing at all, she knew Santa would not be happy with her. She told us to return her presents, cause Santa wasn't going to bring her any either. Once we got her to settle down a little bit, we explained to her that Chippie seemed like he was a reasonable enough guy, and if she apologized to him and asked for another chance, he would more than likely oblige :)





Of course Chippie was going to be back the next day, but bless her little heart she was worried! I wanted to make sure she knew she was forgiven and was not a member of the naughty club, so this is what we came up with:





The poem says:

Dear Jaylinne, 

I know you were afraid
I thought you were bad
I don't want you to worry
So please don't be sad!

You said you were sorry
Then a picture you drew
Was all that I needed
To come back to you!

You'll still see me each day
I'll watch what you do
Santa says if you're good
He'll bring presents to you!

Love, Chippie

Thank you Jen and Brandy! This is going to be fun :)

1 comment: