Monday, September 17, 2012

Finished Product


Now that Jaylinne is in kindergarten, I thought I had better make some time to finish up some of my projects I started. Although I have several that I need to get to, the most important one, in my mind, was our headboard. Believe it or not, this idea began 2 summers ago when my friend Stephanie planted the seed in my head. She came to my house to pick up some old windows to turn into picture frames. She mentioned she regularly visited a blog called, "Purposely Repurposed." (How clever is that name?!) While on said cleverly-named blog, she came across the idea of turning an old, antique door into a headboard. HUH?! Immediately I was intrigued. Stephanie has got to be one of the most creative, crafty people I know, and I knew if she thought it was a cool, unique idea, I would as well. I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, or how it was even supposed to look, so to Google I ran. I pulled up some pictures, and I determined that the door would not be vertical, it would be horizontal- which my little brain was more capable of grasping ;)

Almost immediately, my head took the idea and ran. I was picturing mustard yellow, and dark distressing. There was just one problem; where the hell was I going to find an antique door?! Fast forward to spring 2012. Still with the idea pulling at my brain, I set out to find a door. After checking KSL, Craig's List, Ebay, and even a Habitat for Humanity donation center...it was quickly determined I was screwed. There were several on Ebay on the east coast that I could get shipped to me for a mere $700, however I quickly vetoed that. As it was completely absurd. Then, just as I was about to give up hope, I recalled that my bedroom door when I was little looked just that way! After calling my mom and dad, and squealing my plans in their ear, they said I was welcome to the door... if I could replace it. The house my parents live in is the house I grew up in. It is also the house my dad grew up in. It was built in 1903. For those of you out there not familiar with houses this old, they seemed to have one thing in common: Oddly shaped doorways. Really?! Another hoop for me to jump through? Ugh. But low and behold, I was able to find one!

Now that I had found the actual door I was going to use, the rest was easy! Until I realized it was almost the end of summer and I had only sanded down one side. I decided to buckle down and get it done, and I love the way it turned out! The best part is that it has sentimental value. I grew up in the room behind that door, as many people did before me. Even though I may not live in that house still, I can have a little piece of it with me always :)

Before...  
After

close up

2 comments:

  1. Jessie that looks amazing! I'm so glad you were able to complete it and I'm totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete