Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It's that time of year again!


I. Love. Halloween. I can't get enough! In my world, we could do away with every holiday except for Halloween- and I would be fine with it! This year for Jaylinne's class, I am the room mom. Basically, that just means I help plan the parties/activities for the class throughout the year. That means I get to plan a Halloween party! I spoke with her teacher, Mrs. Heaps, and she said she would like them to have a game, a craft, a treat, and a story to fill up the hour allotted for the party.

So for the game I decided to make one of my own for the kids to play!  The first thing I needed was some big cans. Coffee sized cans. Almost as quickly as I got the idea, I was stumped on where I could acquire said cans! Enter the smartest woman alive; My mother. Without missing a beat, she told me to go to the lunchroom at Jaylinne's school to see if they had any. At first, I was skeptical. The lunchroom?! But....I'm almost positive they don't serve coffee to the kids! However, I've been blessed with enough years on God's green earth to have learned one of the most valuable lessons: Mom is always right. It was worth a shot, so off to the lunchroom I went.

On the short drive there, I was working out in my head how I was going to ask these ladies for cans without looking like a complete yahoo. Apparently I wasn't the first to make such as a request! I walked into the lunchroom and asked the first woman I saw if they had any big cans they were getting rid of. She motioned for me to follow her, so I did.  Low and behold, I struck gold in the form of aluminum! Up until that point, I had never been so thankful for canned peaches in all my 29 years! They were even all bagged up and ready for the taking!



After I got them home, I quickly washed and sanitized them, and after a few hours in the sun they were ready to go. 


I had an idea in mind of how I wanted each can to turn out, I just wasn't exactly sure how to do it! Initially, I was going to paint each one a solid color, then hand paint the detail on it as well. However, after much deliberation, I remembered I can't draw or paint worth beans. So that was out of the question. Instead, I decided to paint each can a solid color with spray paint, making that part as effortless as possible.  Then I would cut the designs out of felt, and hot glue them to the can.



For the game I also needed some bean bags. I got a new sewing machine for Mother's Day this year, so I decided I would sew them as opposed to buying them. I have an abundance of gray and white chevron material. I am obsessed, an addicted even! It worked out in my favor though, because I think it all turned out pretty darn cute if you ask me!


For picture purposes, I have them set up in a pyramid so you can clearly see all the designs. But when the kids play the game, they will be set up like bowling pins. The kids will toss the bean bags and try to make them into a can. I bought "prizes" to go in each can, so if you make a basket, you get the prize that's in that can.


No comments:

Post a Comment