Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pumpkinland!


Last Friday was Jaylinne's first class field trip, and I was lucky enough to be able to go along! Being that it was almost Halloween, the class got to go to Pumpkinland, which is just down the road from her school. Growing up just down the street from Pumpkinland, I was very familiar with it. I used to LOVE it when I was a kid! Let's be honest, I still do ;) Every month out of the year besides October, Pumpkinland is known as the Vineyard Garden Center. It's a greenhouse that has been WELL taken care of over the years. However, when October rolls around each year, it turns into a hotspot of halloween activities! Having known about the field trip for what seems like an eternity, Jaylinne was more than ready to go Friday afternoon!

 Once we got to school, I was assigned my group: Jaylinne, Kyler, and Aiden. I won't lie, I was a little intimidated, as I only have one child. Having to be responsible for 3 children was...well...three times as hard! However, I was familiar with all of the kids in her class, and I knew they are all very well behaved, so the nervousness disappeared fairly quickly!

Kyler, Jaylinne, and Aiden
 Because Pumpkinland was so close to the school, everyone was just walking there. You have to cross Geneva Road, therefore we were all holding hands. Kyler seemed to be the shy one of the group. He turned a bright shade of red when he learned he had to hold my hand. The horror! Aiden made it very clear he didn't want to hold Kyler's hand, or my hand...however, he had no qualms with scooping up Jaylinne's hand ;) So off we went...

L to R: Jaylinne, Andy, Aiden, Aliyah, Ashlyn, Lupita, Andrea, Brooke, Ryan, Mason, Sylvia, Kyler, Emma, Keisel, Landon, Marley, and Fabian.

L to R: Ryan, Brooke, Mason, Andy, Emma, Aiden, Jaylinne, Victoria, Lupita, Sylvia, Andrea, Ashlyn, Marley, Aliyah, Kyler, Fabian, Keisel, Landon
Upon Arrival, Ms. Rougeau had the kids get in a group for a couple of class pictures. I was so glad she did this! I was worrying how in the world I was going to get all these kids in the same place, at the same time, long enough to take a picture! They turned out pretty great!

After we snapped a few pictures, we separated into our groups and headed for the corn maze. It started off really well! Aiden even forgot that just minutes prior, he all but refused to hold Kyler's hand. So far so good for Mrs. Sanders! Along the way, Aiden loved finding ears of corn that had fallen from the stalk. He even found one he dubbed cool enough to bring home with him! I think he might have the "photography bug," he kept pointing out things he wanted me to take pictures of, then got a kick out of being able to look at them :)



Aiden showing off his corn. "My mom is going to cook this for me!!"

One of Aiden's requests :) This kid loves him some corn!

I decided it was Kyler's turn to take the lead, so we all followed him for a few minutes. As he was walking, I noticed he was singing ever-so-quietly. I let him continue, as I was trying to figure out what song he was singing, but I couldn't tell. After a few minutes I told him he was a good singer...and he blushed like I've never seen anyone blush before! I asked him who his favorite singer was, and his response was, "...Me." Priceless. Perfect answer! I hope that remains his answer throughout his lifetime :)

Kyler leading the way and singing his little heart out
Even though it was October, it was pretty hot outside. This corn maze was giving us a run for our money! Although it was lots of fun at the beginning, the kids were done. We each took turns leading the way, but every way we went seemed to be another dead end! Right about that time, I began to panic. This is my first field trip! I simply cannot get lost in this corn maze! I am ill-prepared, I don't have nearly enough supplies for a venture such as this! Oh my goodness, I'm going to have to send up smoke signals for Search and Rescue! But somehow, by the grace of God, we made it through the corn maze in one piece :)

After the corn maze, there is a place for taking pictures. Yes please! It was hot outside, the kids were dusty, and they just wanted to get to the playground. They were good sports and humored me :)




Finally, we made it to the playground. There was even a petting zoo with goats and bunnies! There were also ducks, peacocks, and chickens there, but apparently they don't like to be touched ;) There was a goat standing on platform, looking down at all the kids. Both Aiden and Kyler climbed on top of the playground, proclaiming to be "King of the mountain..."




This guy WAS NOT impressed. The kids just kept playing and looking at the animals... 


What I am dying to know is: Which one is Jimbo, which one is Jambo, and for the love of God, which one is Jon?!

I asked Tipsy, but her lips were sealed ;)    
At one point, Andy got his knee stuck between the wooden slats on the playground. His mom was there to help him out of that pickle with only minimal tears shed.



With all the running around the kids did, it was time for a snack!  All in all, I'd have to go out on a limb and say that besides a few hiccups, our first field trip was a success! And it only cost me one pinched nerve in my back :)    









1 comment:

  1. So amazing! Looks like everyone had a fabulous time! I love the corn he chose to have his mom cook and the other boy just singing away. So much fun :) and congrats on Jaylinne's first successful field trip :)

    ReplyDelete