Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 13: A hobby of mine


There are quite a few things I like to do whenever I get any "me time," however, I'd say out of all of them, my favorite would be refinishing furniture. For some reason, it is very soothing for me, and I love to do it! That is...when I am not on any sort of deadline ;) At this point, I'd say it has become both a blessing, as well as a curse. I cannot, literally, just go to the store and buy a piece of furniture, bring it home and feel good about it. I don't want someone to walk into my house and see things that they see everywhere else, I like to add a unique touch to everything. By unique touch, I mean: sand it back down to its natural wood state, beat the hell out if it with a hammer (or any other blunt, rusty object), paint it a crazy color and make it look as "old" as I can! (I know that wherever my dad will be when he reads this, he is shaking his head with disappointment. "WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GO AND RUIN A PERFECTLY GOOD PIECE OF WOOD?!" Haha! Relax, dad ;)) 

Sometimes, whilst searching for a new piece of furniture that we desperately need to add to our household, I will see items for sale that have already been distressed. Perfect, right?! Wrong. Apparently I'm quite the snob, because more often than not, it's generally not up to par according to my standards. Go figure :)

I like doing it, and I get a sense of accomplishment whenever I finish something. For the most part, I adore all my finished products. So until Ryan cuts me off, I get a little too wild with the power tools and lose a finger or two, or my dad finally makes me realize the error of my ways, I don't think I'll be stopping anytime in the fore seeable future.

An old trunk I found at D.I. that I turned into a coffee table that also holds our blankets for the couch. Originally, it was a honey oak finish.

A TV stand I refinished for my friend, Brandy, for her birthday. Originally, it was a light natural wood finish

This is my kitchen table and chairs I refinished about 2 years ago. Table and 4 chairs, all solid wood. Originally, the table top and chair seats were oak colored, and the table and chair legs, and chair backs were glossy white.



1 comment:

  1. You are so creative!! I love this hobby of yours :) I always love how you choose different colors too.

    ReplyDelete