Monday, April 23, 2012

Say cheese!



This past Saturday was prom night for my nephew, Cody, and his friends who attend Mountain View High School. He asked me if I would be interested in taking a few pictures for the group before the dance, and seeing as how I have never shot any of these type of photos before, I jumped at the opportunity!

They scouted out a few places they liked, but ultimately decided the winning spot would be Bridal Veil Falls up Provo Canyon. For those of you who have never visited this place, you are missing out. It is beautiful! However, it is a pretty popular attraction when the weather is nice, so I was a little concerned as to how we would be able to snap a few shots whilst weaving in and out of the crowd :) Although there were quite a few people there, they were mindful of the shoot and steered clear for the most part.

When taking pictures, the more ideas the better. They had some ideas of their own they wanted to capture, and mixed with my ideas, I'd say it was a pretty successful night! Here are some of the shots:

There is a bridge right in front of the falls, so we snapped a group shot right in front of it. There were actually a few little kids climbing up the rocks in the background, so I had to strategically place the couple to block them view :) Cody is the tall, handsome gentleman just right of the middle.

Another group shot showing more of the falls.

When I snapped these shots, I'm pretty sure they all thought I was nuts! I was trying to get a modern look, and overall I'm happy with how they turned out. Hopefully now they understand why I had the camera waist-level, and moved me down a few notches on the crazy scale!


There is an old bridge that is no longer being used that had an old shed in the background. An old run-down shed?! Right up my alley! We did some couples' shots as well as some single shots here. I really liked how his tie matched her dress, very fashion-savvy!

I LOVE the splash of colors the blue and green provide in this one. OH! and if you can believe it, this girl's aunt made her dress for her! Go aunt, go! Turned out so pretty!

We did some single shots in front of the falls also.

I thought it might be kind of fun to try having a main girl in front, and having the rest of the girls in the background in soft focus. This way it was kind of like an individual shot, but they still had their friends in it with them :)
So after all is said and done, I think everything turned out pretty nicely. Thanks, Cody, for giving me the opportunity to do this :) Such a fun, polite group of kids! I had a blast doing it.

1 comment:

  1. wow! absolutely beautiful! You are SO talented! These pictures are fantastic! I love the waist level female photo so you can see the details of each dress. I would have ADORED having pictures like that of my high school dances! You are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete