Friday, February 22, 2013

Cruisin' 2013- Belize


The second port we docked in was Belize. I was pretty excited to get to visit, as I have heard it is the second best place for snorkeling in the world! So naturally, we all decided to check it out.

As we got off the Carnival Dream, we got onto another taxi boat to take us to our destination. It looked like a little neighborhood in the water, with the houses on stilts! They were all painted pastel colors too, I was pretty impressed ;) Come to find out, it was the snorkeling shop, a restaurant, and a gift shop. There was even a private beach!


On my way back from a trip to the restroom, I discovered this sign and it made me giggle. Apparently, it is customary to throw up jazz hands when you fall down in Belize ;)



Once we signed the waivers and got fitted for gear, we were on our way. It was another short ride in the boat to the reef. Once we got there and people were getting in the water, they were complaining how cold it was. COLD?! I didn't sign up for cold! I could do chilly at best :) I am a cold water wuss! I decided to suck it up and rather than just submerge myself slowly....I'd jump. Turns out there are people that are bigger wusses than I, because the water was like bath water. It was nice!

I had been snorkeling once before, however it didn't go as well as I expected it to. I'm not what you would call a "swimmer." I can tread water, and float, but for some reason when I'm in the water I lose pretty much all control of my motor skills. In swimming pools it's not too bad, because I can see the bottom. Even in the ocean it's not so bad if I can see the bottom. But the second it goes from "beautiful sea floor" to "black," I panic. We had life jackets this time though, so I was prepared ;)

Let's do this.....

Brandy and I floated right over the top of this guy. It was Brandy's first time snorkeling and she got a little nervous. She was trying to push her way to the top. What was she using for leverage to the top you ask? My head ;) This guy almost got to see more of me than he bargained for!


He has no idea who the hell Nemo was, and he'd really appreciate it if I took my shenanigans elsewhere.




In case you're wondering, this IS in fact my, "Please don't let this giant crab chew my face off" face. I think the guy to my right was hoping it would happen ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment